Jan 18

Canberra light rail: One tram a week to start arriving from end of March

Canberra’s first tram will soon be joined by the rest of the fleet as the consortium behind stage one of light rail claims it is on track to finish the project by the end of the year. Canberra Metro chief executive Glenn Stockton said one tram a week will start arriving in Canberra from the end of […] Read More »

Jan 18

Ch9: Sydney’s rail crisis could spread to bus network

Sydney’s railway fiasco is threatening to spread to the city’s bus services, with hundreds of services set to be privatised. 9NEWS understands in coming days the NSW government will announce the private company that will run Inner-West and Southern Sydney (Region 6) buses. The move has infuriated unions, who last year walked off the job […] Read More »

Jan 17

NEWCASTLE HERALD: Putting Newcastle’s buses to trial

NEWCASTLE HERALD Herald reporter Michael Parris spent Tuesday morning putting Keolis Downer’s new bus routes and timetables to the test. 8.40am: So I need to get from Merewether to Lambton for a medical appointment at 9.30. The Transport for NSW online trip planner gives me two options, one involving an eight-minute walk and a change of buses, the […] Read More »

Jan 16

Newcastle Herald: Keolis Downer vows to update timetables at Newcastle bus stops

By Michael Parris. Keolis Downer plans to update information at its Newcastle bus stops in the next two to three weeks after launching new routes and timetables on Sunday. Hunter-based transport advocate Darrell Harris visited about 20 stops on Monday and found none had the new route map and many had redundant route numbers and timetables. He […] Read More »

Jan 16

Newcastle Herald: Drivers cop abuse as tensions boil over with bus timetable overhaul

Read the full story on the Newcastle Herald here.  By Carrie Fellner Tempers frayed on day one of the city’s bus timetable overhaul, with drivers subjected to widespread abuse and a brick hurled at a bus in Newcastle West. The most serious incident took place on a bus outside Wests City on King Street, with […] Read More »

Jan 12

Mehreen Faruqi argues Newcastle is the victim of failed privatisation experiment

Newcastle Herald, Mehreen Fauqi THOUSANDS of Novocastrians relying on public transport to get to work, school and university on time have come face to face with the harsh reality of this ideologically-driven, privatisation-obsessed government. Since privatisation in July 2017, the percentage of buses that started their journey on time declined from 95 per cent to just […] Read More »

Jan 12

Minister Constance flogs commuters with secret 10% price hike

Today’s Sydney Morning Herald has revealed that Opal fares have sneakily risen by a whopping 10 per cent since the last ticket overhaul in September 2016. This comes as no surprise as we have a Minister  for Transport who cannot be trusted by workers or the general public. While the Minister continues to recklessly flog […] Read More »

Jan 10

Media Release: Newcastle commuters bearing the brunt of a slower service

Figures have revealed that commuters in Newcastle are bearing the brunt of a far slower commute after a private operator took over Newcastle buses in July last year. Chris Preston, RTBU NSW Bus and Tram Division Secretary said “This is exactly what we said would happen. Minister Constance recklessly sold off Newcastle’s public buses to […] Read More »

Dec 18

Newcastle light rail cost: Wireless upgrade contributes to extra $35m bill

Once again, the NSW Government has demonstrated it is completely incapable of effectively planning and budgeting for our transport. Our tax payer dollars are going down the drain because NSW Minister for Transport, Andrew Constance makes reckless decisions and mistakes which he continues to try and cover up in confidential documents. The latest article in […] Read More »

Dec 11

ABC: George Street section re-opens as Minister shuts down retailers at press conference

By Emily Laurence and Paige Cockburn Angry retailers have ambushed the NSW Premier and the state’s Transport Minister at the reopening of a section of Sydney’s CBD where new light rail lines have been built. The State Government is calling it Sydney’s hottest selfie spot. It’s a section of George Street between Park and King Streets now open, […] Read More »