Browsing all articles tagged with Newcastle Herald Archives - busexpress.com.au
May 25

Newcastle Herald: Labor says Keolis Downer contract encourages shorter bus routes in Newcastle

Charlestown MP Jodie Harrison has accused the state government of encouraging Keolis Downer to “chop up” Newcastle’s bus network by offering it per-passenger incentive payments. The company said in March that its passenger numbers were up 4.9 per cent in January, a year-on-year rise from 304,330 to 319,360.  Read more of the Newcastle Herald story.  Read More »

Apr 20

Newcastle Herald: Keolis Downer announces new direct bus connections in Newcastle and Lake Macquarie timetable shake-up

Newcastle Herald, Nick Bielby  Direct connections between eastern Lake Macquarie and two of the region’s major shopping and business hubs are among the changes Newcastle’s bus operator will introduce in July. The Newcastle Herald can reveal that Keolis Downer will amend its new timetable – which has been the subject of public outcry in recent months – in response to community feedback. Cardiff […] Read More »

Apr 12

Absurd rant from Andrew Constance on Newcastle buses

In an absurd rant in today’s Newcastle Herald, Andrew Constance claims to have ‘rescued’ the Newcastle bus and transport system (by flogging it off) and ‘rescued the city too.’ Newcastle bus drivers and commuters know that Constance is off his rocker with these delusional claims. If the Newcastle bus privatisation has been such a success […] Read More »

Jun 24

Newcastle industrial action brings TfNSW back to the table

Yesterday saw a new round of industrial action in Newcastle, with drivers refusing to wear uniforms and not accepting fares from passengers. This had the desired effect with the government calling the union early in the morning and agreeing to return to the table and speak with workers. Read More »

Jun 16

Newcastle Herald: Newcastle bus drivers don Hawaiian shirts for privatisation protest

Newcastle Buses – the blue and white state government buses – are likely to be run by the same private sector operator as the proposed Newcastle light rail under plans being promoted by the Baird government. Read More »

Apr 28

Newcastle Council rejects light rail route

Newcastle City Council has stood up for community and good sense by voting to reject the State Government’s planned light rail route, instead suggesting that the route should run down Hunter Street along with vehicle traffic. Read More »

Apr 27

Reality bites as Newcastle Light Rail “consultation” begins

When the term “sleepwalking into a planning disaster” is mentioned in the first line of a newspaper article, you know that the situation will probably only get worse. But that’s the reality of the proposed Newcastle Light Rail with the government finally releasing their Review of Environmental Factors for the project. Read More »

Apr 7

Former fan turns on Newcastle Light Rail

Former Newcastle Mayor, Jeff McCloy has reversed his view on light rail for Newcastle, despite previously fighting for its construction. Read More »

Mar 24

Valerie Jones of Newcastle supports drivers

A letter to the editor in the Newcastle Herald today called out the NSW Liberal Government for doubting claims made by bus operators about failing Opal machines. Read More »

Mar 22

Drivers say Opal is no gem, Newcastle Herald reports

The spate of Opal failures continue, and it is not just in Sydney. While the state government has hailed its Newcastle rollout of the Opal card as “very successful”, bus drivers in the Hunter are complaining of faulty readers and software glitches. Read More »