Browsing all articles tagged with privatisation Archives - busexpress.com.au
May 24

Watch: Labor’s Luke Foley slams privatisation plans in Parliament

Buses should be run for the public benefit, not private profit, says NSW Labor. Here’s NSW Labor leader Luke Foley speaking in Parliament. Read More »

May 23

NSW Labor calls bus privatisation a “shortsighted and shameful decision”

Watch Labor MPs fight back against bus privatisation in NSW Parliament, calling it a “shortsighted and shameful decision” and demanding that the government abandon these plans and “keep public bus services in public hands.” Read More »

May 20

Complain to Constance!

Transport Minister Andrew Constance’s decision to privatise bus services in Sydney’s inner west is a complete betrayal of bus drivers and Sydney commuters. Mr Constance’s plan, which would come into effect in July next year includes: Privatising 233 bus routes across Sydney, almost a third of the system Slashing the jobs of 1200 bus drivers […] Read More »

May 18

Great turnout at Bus Division press conference!

There was a fantastic turn out at the RTBU Bus Division media conference on Thursday morning. A big thank you to all of our members who came and a special thank you to members of other unions who turned out in support. Read More »

May 16

SMH: Sydney bus privatisation plan is betrayal

Tram and Bus Division Secretary Chris Preston told the Sydney Morning Herald this morning that bus drivers are furious about the recent decision to privatise scores of routes in Sydney’s inner west. Mr Preston said workers had been told as recently as December that STA’s contract for bus regions in Sydney would remain after a restructure that included the […] Read More »

Apr 18

B-Line bus battle erupts on Sydney’s northern beaches

Former Labor premier Barrie Unsworth has slammed the expected privatisation of the new bus corridor between the northern beaches and the CBD, calling the proposed B-Line bus service a “Trojan horse” for development. “We’ve had government bus services for as long as anyone can remember. We’re all happy with the operation of the buses now,” Mr Unsworth told Fairfax Media. […] Read More »

Mar 28

Member for Mackellar must come clean on calls for bus privatisation

MEDIA RELEASE The Rail Tram and Bus Union of NSW (RTBU NSW) has called on the Federal Member for Mackellar, Jason Falinski MP to come clean on his demands that the B-Line service on the Northern beaches be privatised. Echoing concerns from the NSW Opposition last week that there was ‘a growing concern on the […] Read More »

Aug 31

Submissions close for Newcastle transport tender

Submissions from private providers to operate the Newcastle Integrated Services closed on the 30th of August. The preferred bidder to operate the ten year contract will be announced by the State Government by the 31st of October. The new operator will control all bus, ferry and future light rail services in Newcastle. Read More »

Jul 29

Private buyers in for workforce shock

Divisional Secretary Chris Preston took to the airwaves in Newcastle to let the public know just what is happening to drivers in Newcastle. Read More »

Jul 27

Grand tour for private operators as government continues to ignore Newcastle workers

Transport for NSW is today hosting a goodwill tour of depots for companies tendering for contracts to operate the privatised Transport for Newcastle, as drivers again wear plain clothes to show their displeasure at a lack of support and information coming from government. Read More »